Located at Kelly Field House, St. Joeseph's Prep School on Girard Avenue in Philadelphia, PA. The Bronze "Hawk", By Lorann Jacobs is located at the doors of the field house.
The dedication of the seven million dollar state of the art multi-use athletic facility marks the structural completion of the Prep's master plan to rebuild its campus and facilities following a disastrous fire that destroyed most of the school in 1966.
The new Fieldhouse sits on what was the Tartan Track and later the back parking lot. Many will remember this area as the site for intramural touch football games. On the 26,400 square foot cushion floor, students will be able to play four basketball games at the same time. The seating capacity is 1120 with state of the art sound and lighting. A one hundred and sixty-seven meter running track overlooks the main floor with a 26,400 playing field on the roof to accommodate a variety of sports and a play area for the Gesu elementary students. The building has 10 basketball backboards three gym divider curtains and a batting cage, thus providing a first rate sports venue.
The building is named for the Kelly Family who were the major benefactors of this project. The late Paul E. Kelly, '30, Paul E. Kelly, Jr., '66 and their families have the gratitude and continued prayers of the entire Prep Community.
Weighing 300 lbs., the sculpture is a one of kind hawk and sits on a natural rock.
The Kelly Fieldhouse
Novemeber 19, 2000
John Blatteau Associates Philadelphia, PA
James J. Clearkin, Inc Philadelphia, PA
To view more of Loranís public works, click here.